ARC Offers Testing Center Tips For Faculty
March 19, 2019
The Testing Center at the Webster Groves campus serves students who need tests rescheduled with an instructor’s approval as well as accommodated tests, MBA waiver exams, foreign language placement exams, the MoGEA (Missouri General Education Assessment), and credit by exam assessments. In addition, the Testing Center offers proctoring services to other universities and institutions for a fee.
The Testing Center empowers students to:
- Manage their time and schedule their exams according to deadlines.
- Coordinate with their faculty members to ensure their exams arrive at the Testing Center.
- Advocate for using the Testing Center to ensure they get extended time or other accommodations if appropriate.
- Arrive at appointments on time with all the materials needed.
Testing Center Guidelines for Faculty
When scheduling an exam for a student, please follow these procedures to ensure a smooth testing process:
- Complete the Testing Center exam form. Faculty can complete this form either in person at the Testing Center or online at http://www.webster.edu/academic-resource-center/testing-center/course-exams.html. Please include an exact time limit, the dates the test can be administered, proctoring instructions, accommodations (if applicable), allowed testing aids, and any other necessary information. Please note that the Testing Center voicemail and email are not monitored from Friday at 4:30 p.m. to Monday at 9 a.m.
- Provide several ways for us to contact you. If we have a question regarding the administering of the exam or if a student has an issue, we will need to reach out to you.
- Verify your proctoring instructions. Proctors are required to have students lock up all personal belongings. Only items explicitly allowed by faculty members are permitted in the exam rooms. For example, if you verbally tell students that they are permitted to take in a text book, note cards, calculator, scrap paper, ruler, etc., but you do not write these details on the Testing Center Exam Form, your students will not be allowed to take these items into the exam room. This situation can increase student anxiety, which we try to minimize.
- Academic integrity is an integral part of the Testing Center functionality. To help ensure these standards, the Testing Center does not accept students' homework assignments, late work, or take-home exams/work and does not collect work to be distributed back to students. Additionally, students may not personally bring their exams to the Testing Center. These policies protect the academic integrity of the Testing Center.
Testing Center staff members are available to answer questions at (314) 246-8225 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Fridays during the regular semester. (See the Academic Resource Center website at www.webster.edu/arc to confirm hours during breaks and the summer semester.)
Faculty may send exams directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver them in person to the Testing Center in the Academic Resource Center (ARC) at Loretto Hall room 40. For specific concerns, please contact Carolyn I. Brown, ARC assistant director, at (314) 246-7668 or email@example.com.