Office Did You Know: View email by messages or conversations
June 10, 2019
One size does not fit all. In Office 365 Outlook (the web version of Outlook Mail), your messages are displayed in Conversation View by default. A conversation includes all messages in the same thread with the same subject line. But many people prefer a layout that displays all messages individually.
Within Office 365, you have the choice to display your messages in your preferred layout. If you wish to switch to Messages view, instructions will vary depending on whether you are using the “New Outlook” or the “Old Outlook.”
To determine if you are using New Outlook or Old Outlook, log into the Office 365 portal (https://portal.office.com) and click on Outlook. At the top right, locate the Try the new Outlook toggle button.
Use Messages View in the New Outlook Office 365 Web Application
1. With Outlook open from the Office 365 Portal, click the button that looks like
a circular gear at the upper right to open the Settings menu.
2. Find the Conversation View section near the bottom of the Settings window.
3. Click the Off radio button.
Use Messages View in the Old Outlook Office 365 Web Application
1. With Outlook open from the Office 365 Portal, click on your Inbox folder.
2. Click the down arrow next to the Filter link near the top.
3. From the options that pop up, select Show as then select Messages.
Voilà! You should now see your inbox displaying the messages separately.
Have a topic you would like to see covered in a future Did You Know article? Please reach out to Jeffrey Salas at email@example.com .
* * *
Previous Office 365 'Did You Know'?
Check out these additional Office 365 resources: