2021 Messing Faculty Award Application Period Open
September 08, 2020
The Office of the Provost and the Office of Academic Affairs are now accepting applications for the 2021 Wilma and Roswell Messing, Jr. Faculty Award. Since 1977, the Messing Faculty Award is presented to a full-time faculty member for summer activity which will strengthen the curriculum of his/her department or improve the teaching/learning relationship. The award will fund international travel and activities in Summer 2021.
The deadline for applications is Monday, Nov. 16, 2020, 5 p.m.
The award, in the amount of $4,500, typically funds international travel and other expenses related to the Summer activity. Due to COVID-19, applicants for Summer 2021 activity may propose projects with international components that do not require international travel (e.g. projects that leverage technology to enhance global components of curriculum).
- Permanent, full-time Webster University faculty member.
- Faculty in probationary period are encouraged.
- Faculty completing or beginning a year of sabbatical or faculty development leave are not eligible.
Submit a proposal including:
- A description of the project, including the international component
- A proposed timeline and itinerary for the project
- Projected outcomes of the project
- A detailed budget
Proposals advancing the mission, vision, and values of Webster University are strongly encouraged.
The following will not be considered: Proposals for individual creative activity; proposals for funding of work toward an advanced degree or for the completion of a doctoral dissertation.
Submit proposals electronically to the Messing Award Selection Committee at email@example.com by Monday, Nov. 16, 2020. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your submission.
The Messing Award Committee will review proposals and recommend the project demonstrating the greatest promise of strengthening the curriculum of the faculty member’s department or improving the teaching/learning relationship.
The Messing Award recipient will be notified and announced in January 2021.
Award Recipient Responsibilities
- Submit a written report of his/her summer activity by September 30 following the summer of the project.
- Participate, to the extent possible, in activities related to the promotion of the Messing Award (e.g., serve on “award recipient panels”, speak with future applicants seeking information on the award).
- Applicants are encouraged to speak to their chair, dean, and/or previous recipients for more information.
- For questions contact Rhonda Lingard, coordinator in the Office of Academic Affairs at 314-246-7676.