New Version of Webster Alerts Launches This Week
August 01, 2017
By now, you might have received an e-mail announcing the updated version of Webster Alerts through our new vendor, RAVE. This e-mail confirms that your @webster.edu e-mail address has been automatically added to our upgraded emergency alert system. If you have not received it yet, it should arrive in your e-mail inbox soon.
Webster Alerts is the University’s primary messaging system for letting students, faculty and staff know when there is an emergency on or near campus and to provide instructions on how to stay safe. This system is also used to notify the community of campus closures caused by severe weather (such as heavy snow), power outages or other factors.
This means that when an emergency occurs on campus, faculty, staff and students will automatically receive an alert to their Webster e-mail address notifying them of the issue. You do not need to “opt into” the system to receive these alerts through your Webster e-mail.
Updating Contact Info and Delivery Preferences
In order to also receive these alerts on your cell phone or at another e-mail, there is a simple system for changing your contact information in Webster Alerts. You may add three mobile phone numbers and two additional e-mail addresses to your account. These can also be cell phone numbers or e-mail addresses for loved ones, in case you want them to be informed of campus emergencies.
To do this, please follow the following instructions:
- Log into Connections
- On the main page of Connections, you will see a “Webster Alerts” heading. Click on “Manage Your Account” to get to the Webster Alerts portal.
- Once you are in the Webster Alerts portal, you will see a dropdown menu in the upper left corner of the screen. Click on the dropdown box and select “User” to edit your user information.
- On this screen, you will see an option to add a mobile phone number. Please enter only the number and do not include dashes or other punctuation.
- Confirm your mobile phone carrier by using the dropdown box.
- You should receive a 4-digit confirmation code via text message. Enter the confirmation code in the space provided in the Webster Alerts portal.
- Add an e-mail address by clicking on that option and entering the new e-mail address in the space provided.
- To edit any of this information throughout the year, please log into your Webster Alerts account through Connections and make the appropriate changes with the above instructions.
If you do not add additional e-mail addresses or mobile phone numbers to your Webster Alerts account, you will only receive these emergency alerts through your Webster e-mail address.
If you run into any issues, using your Webster Alerts portal, or if the Webster Alerts heading is not visible on your Connections menu, please contact the IT Service Desk.